Altra Instinct Shoe Review


The second I put on Altra Instinct shoes my feet were comfortable. At the time my left Plantar Facia was acting up and I was looking for help. I had been running in zero shoes for a few years and then got a pair of trail shoes and used them for both trail and road. I didn't think the 12mm lift in the trail shoes would make a difference if I still ran on my mid-foot. I was wrong.

I couldn't take the Altra's off because they were so comfortable. I find it interesting that their comfort has become known in groups of senior citizens who likely wear them because their wide toe box and slipper like feel. In fact, I have taken my retired Altra Instincts, cleaned off the bottoms and made them my house slippers. I've never done that with any other pair of running shoes.

Even though I love them I do have some wishes for future models.

  1. First off, the colors aren't anything to get excited about. Your kids won't be making a fashion statement which makes it a little harder to get them into these great shoes. 
  2. The tongue of the shoe has a tendency to slide over during a run.
  3. The rubber on the bottom of the Instincts is soft and comfortable but if you weigh 165 pounds or more don't expect to get more than 300 miles out of them. 
Shoe on left made it 300 miles. Shoe on right made it 450 miles.


We've had four pairs of Instincts in our family and our teenagers have loved them too. Even though they won't be winning any fashion awards they have an odd cuteness about them and most importantly they help you run with better form. Our kids noticed this on their first run and quickly became converted.

Here is a summary of how long the Instincts have lasted according to body weight. 

165lbs: Logged 300 miles (shoes retired)

145lbs: Logged 225 miles (still using)

125lbs: Logged 445 miles (still using)

115lbs: Logged 450 miles (shoes retired)

I would fully recommend getting your child into a pair of Altra's which will help them improve their form and stay injury free. They run around $100.

Our mid-foot strike first hits on the outside which was the first area to wear out.

My son's shoes have 445 miles on them and are still going strong thanks to his more level mid-foot strike.

1 comment:

  1. Hi fellas,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to read more about that How to Choose Right Pair of Sports Shoes for your Child I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete